Saturday, March 12, 2016

Amazing Spirit Week!

Mismatch Monday
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it:  Hair can be made to look like a doughnut, a plate of spaghetti or a bottle of Coke pouring into a cup--on Crazy Hair Day, that is!  School spirit was running high at Horace Mann this week as both students and staff had fun with theme days and celebration of reading.
Thanks to the leadership of first grade teacher Mrs. Cramer, we had a lively spirit week plan, with Mismatch Monday, Superhero Tuesday, Dress as a Book Character Wednesday, Team Thursday and Crazy Hair/Hat Friday.  I've included a few pictures, but there were just too many awesome outfits to include here in the blog.

  Each day, we enjoyed 15 minutes of sustained silent reading across the whole school, with Drop Everything and Read (DEAR).  I don't think the school has ever been so quiet with all the children here!
 Our  PTA also played a big role in the fun this week, with a very successful "groovy" Book Fair  and fantastic Spring Dance on Friday night.  Much peace and love to Book Fair chair Debbie Baker, and Spring Party chair Beth Bratko (along with ALL the other parents who volunteered--including DJ Mikey Rad) for the great events!  Thanks, too, PTA for the donated "hot pick" books for each classroom's winner for best book character costume.

Be sure to check out the Horace Mann PTA Facebook page for lots of great pictures from the dance.  As the dance was ending, a parent shared with me that she felt a real sense of community here at Horace Mann.  I know I feel it, and I hope others do, too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment