As a way to encourage male mentors to be involved across Cuyahoga County, the Healthy Fathering Collaborative of Greater Cleveland (http://healthyfathering.org/fathers_walk.asp) organizes the Fathers Walk each year. Below, see the pledge that describes the goals of the event:
The Fathers Walk Pledge
On September 22, 2016, fathers and male mentors will be encouraged to take the following pledge and keep it year around:
- I am responsible for the education of my child.
- I will encourage all children to do their best every day at school.
- I will speak to my child about the value of learning and the importance of reaching your potential.
- I will help with school work and review assignments for completion.
- I will praise my child when he/she does well in school.
- I will speak with my child’s teachers and support them in educating my child.
- I will teach my child the value of education and the value of family.
- I will work with my child’s mother or guardian to achieve the best academic and social outcomes for my child even if I do not live with my child.
|Families enjoy doughnuts in the Horace Mann cafe|
At Horace Mann, our PTA likes to connect their annual Doughnuts with Dads event with Fathers Walk, alternating parts of the alphabet each year (it was M-Z's turn to have doughnuts on Father Walk day this year). Our new Family Resource Coordinator, Therese Schwind, started a new tradition of taking a photo of each male mentor with his kids, and she'll be sending that home to families, soon :-)
As always, these events are well-attended and the Doughnut Pantry doughnuts put early morning smiles on everyone's faces. Many thanks to PTA event chair Kristy Gibbons (left, below), and her team: Amy Lardi, Anne Babson, Danielle Catteau and PTA President Nora Katzenberger. For more pictures, be sure to visit the Horace Mann PTA Facebook page!