Saturday, January 17, 2015

Buckeyes & Bees

O-H-I-O
     It seemed like the whole school--and state--was in the mood for football last Monday night.  Horace Mann staff and students donned their scarlet and gray to show support for the Ohio State University Buckeyes.  The sounds of the OSU fight song were even heard coming from one 5th grade classroom!  Although there were some "Tired-eyes" on Tuesday morning, we were happy for the win over the Ducks.







     On Friday afternoon, the Horace Mann 2nd graders had an educational, entertaining, and edible treat.  They were visited by a local beekeeper (or apiarist).  Although I personally did not see the presentation, I talked with two of Mrs. Wynne's students, Kelci and Erta, afterwards.  They told me the bee keeper brought in a bee box style hive, showed a short video, and had great discussions with students about bees, especially why they are important for human life. I was impressed with their newly found knowledge.  They also told me they got to taste just a little honey (on a toothpick).  Did honey win the taste test?  It was a 1-to-1 tie :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment